Table of Contents:
Are you looking for a webmail service with email encryption functionality and other security features? Today, there are many of them. But HushMail is one of the best offerings on the market for professionals and individuals.
What advantages does this service have over other platforms, and what are the alternative ways on how to complete HushMail sign up without giving out your actual phone number? Let’s explore these questions in today’s blog post.
What is HushMail?
This is a secure email service that allows users to send and receive emails and attachments encrypted using the OpenPGP standard. This means that your email’s content and the attached file can only be decrypted and seen by its direct recipient — a holder of a passphrase.
Canadian company Hush Communications released HushMail in 1999, and it became the world’s first email service with encryption functionality. In addition to the browser version, since 2016 the functions of this email service are also available in the iOS app.
Features & Benefits of HushMail
Speaking of this webmail service’s distinctive features, here is what functionality becomes available to those who create HushMail account:
- Encryption of email content and a header — optionally. When sending emails within the system — from one HushMail user to another — the sender can encrypt them with a special passphrase which the recipient also has. As a result, even in case of interception, an attacker will not be able to decrypt it without knowing a passphrase. To send emails to external addresses — for example, to Outlook or Yahoo Mail users — HushMail uses its own SSL server. This also allows you to safeguard and maintain the confidentiality of the content of sent emails.
- Web forms encryption. With the service, those who have completed HushMail sign up can build their own forms (i.e. appointment forms) that also get secured. It’s suitable for both individuals providing private service and a company for sending and receiving sensitive data.
- Protection against email falsification. It’s a common practice among Internet scammers to intercept corporate emails, forge their contents, and then send these falcificated data on behalf of the organization. To counter this practice, HushMail provides users with the ability to “digitally sign” emails they send. Thanks to this, you can be sure that the email came from the email account owner.
- Built-in secure instant messenger. This is another way those who have finalized HushMail sign up to securely exchange sensitive documents within the system. Moreover, users can set up a security question optionally.
I Want to Create HushMail Account — Which Option to Choose?
This service allows you to create accounts for both individuals and organizations. At the same time, the company offers a separate set of services and several tariff plans for companies in the healthcare and legal sector, as well as for small businesses. But, before you decide to finalize HushMail sign up, to get acquainted with the platform, you can use a free 2-week trial with an attachment limit of 15 GB, 1 GB of storage, and one email address.
For all paid plans, HushMail offers support of IMAP and POP3 protocols, a 60-day money back guarantee and 10 GB of storage per email account.
What is HushMail for Healthcare?
The email service is widely used by healthcare professionals and ensures protection of confidential patient data in accordance with HIPAA. In addition, HushMail signs a Business Partnership Agreement with each medical organization.
When you create HushMail account for the Healthcare sector, you can choose from three tariffs which are Starter, Recommended, and Custom for $11.99, $24.99, and $49.99 respectively. For this fee, an organization can choose 1, 5, or a customizable number of encrypted email accounts depending on a plan.
Moreover, your company will get:
- Email encryption.
- Email archiving feature is optional in this tariff.
What is HushMail for Small Business?
For $5.99 per month, the basic plan includes:
- Email encryption.
- Up to 2 secure web forms.
- Private Messenger.
- Plus optional email archiving.
What is HushMail for Law?
For $9.99 per month, you will get all the service’s functionality including Email archiving.
Moreover, with users from the USA, UK and Canada, the platform additionally signs an agreement to protect the confidential data that contains in the user’s account judicially, if necessary.
Personal account with HushMail
When you create HushMail account for personal use, the service charges you an annual fee of $49.98. For this money, you get an encrypted email account with 10 GB of storage, the ability to share instant messages in the in-app messenger, and a money-back guarantee.
Setting up your own domain is not available in this tariff — however, there are several options from the service, for example, hush.com, hush.ai, and more.
Now, when we’ve learned more about the features of this webmail service, let’s clarify why HushMail asks for a phone number and what alternatives exist.
Phone Number for HushMail
As with other modern platforms, HushMail requires not only pass registration procedure, but also confirm your identity. And during this, giving out a personal phone number is one of the requirements.
When creating a HushMail account, you need to come up not only with the email address itself, but also a passphrase. The latter you will use for encryption in the future. After that, you need to associate a phone number with your account to receive a HushMail code for completing verification.
Alternatively, you can link a backup email address. Or, if none of these options suits you, use an external means such as virtual phone numbers made specifically for such purposes. A phone number for HushMail will cost you $0.26. This will allow you to increase your level of anonymity on the web and avoid storing all your personal data for your identification in another web database. Though, HushMail seems to be a trusted company.
In addition to HushMail sign up without a phone number, such virtual phone numbers can be useful when you need to:
- Get access to platforms or apps that receive only local phone numbers or restrict access in your area.
- Register multiple promotional accounts on social media.
- Rent a temporary phone number for one-time use or a time period of up to 3 months.
How to Create HushMail Account without a Phone Number?
SMS-Man has been providing temporary phone numbers for registration and verification purposes for over 7 years now. We support over 1000 global services and mobile operators from over 180 countries.
These virtual phone numbers are not tied to physical location, specific device and do not require using a SIM card. Moreover, the platform on which you’re registering with such a virtual number cannot distinguish it from a real phone number.
So, how can you create HushMail account with a virtual phone number? Here are the instructions:
- Register sms-man.com via email or social media account.
- Add funds to your account balance in any convenient method — by clicking the “Top Up” button in the top right corner.
- Open the “Receive SMS” tab in the left side menu and choose an appropriate country.
- Then find “HushMail” in the service search bar and click “Buy SMS” near it.
- At the bottom of the page, copy the received phone number in the ‘History’ section and use it for HushMail registration.
- After that, get back to your SMS-Man profile and click “Receive SMS” near the number to request a HushMail code.
- Utilize it to complete the process of verification.