Table of Contents:
What is Hotmail? It’s a free webmail software owned by Microsoft since 1997. In 2013, it was merged with another Microsoft’s mail client Outlook.com and since then Windows Live Hotmail (or “Hotmail”) is accessible through Outlook.com as a distinctive service.
Despite that, there are still millions of people throughout the world who use this webmail client on PC and mobile phones (iOS and Android supported).
What useful features does it offer to users, and what are the requirements for new users who want to make a Hotmail account? SMS-Man will give you a quick journey through the app.
What is Hotmail in Terms of Features?
It’s not that easy for Hotmail to stay competitive in such a harsh rivalry with Gmail, Yahoo! Mail, and other players in the field, though it has a number of important features in both free and paid versions.
With the basic functionality, you will be able to:
- Send attachments of up to 10 GB — as an URL, like in Gmail, while the file itself is hosted in Microsoft’s cloud storage OneDrive. OneDrive offers 1TB of storage space with the possibility to expand it.
- Exchange messages and attachments in Windows Live Messenger — at a very high speed. It was previously known as MSN Messenger which appears to be the first live chat.
- Get access to email in your account from other webmail’s mobile apps and desktop clients due to support of IMAP.
- Organizing your email using the personal folders feature by choosing the type of classification that meets your preferences: by date, person, or gender.
- Track important events and manage connections’ updates since you can synchronize your Hotmail with Facebook and LinkedIn.
- Get virus scanning and spam filtering protection.
- Customize your Hotmail account with various themes and color schemes to satisfy your feeling of beauty and brighten your mood.
Though, if these functions feel not enough for you, you can always consider paying the Hotmail Plus subscription.
What is Hotmail Plus Compared to the Free Version?
So, for $19.95 per year, you will get:
- More sophisticated security measures to safeguard your account from phishing attacks and various malware. Among other things, the service checks up your attachments using advanced detection methods.
- E-mail encryption. It offers a “simple” encryption method and encryption with forwarding protection. The first one with email stays encrypted within Microsoft 365 system, while owners of Outlook.com and Microsoft 365 mail can download attachments without encryption, and account owners on other mail services will need a special code to decrypt attachment. The second one ensures that downloaded attachments remain encrypted (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint).
- The possibility to personalize an email address (hurry up, since this feature is accessible until November 30, 2023 — users that already have personalized addresses will still be able to use them).
- Up to 50GB of space, which allows you to store more data. In addition, you will get a complete absence of advertising.
So, how to become a new user of Windows Live Hotmail? Let’s found out.
How to Create a New Hotmail account?
Both Windows Live Hotmail and Outlook.com are accessible only via a Microsoft account. So, to login these services, you’ll be automatically redirected to the address login.live.com.
If you already have a Microsoft account, you can use your account credentials to login to Windows Live Hotmail and Outlook.com.
To learn how to create a new Hotmail account, read the simple instructions:
- To enter the sign up form, click the “Create a free account” button at the bottom of the page.
- Then choose the domain name out of two options: @hotmail.com or @outlook.com.
- Provide some other important personal data to Microsoft such as your name, date of birth, gender, phone number for Hotmail, place of residence.
- After that, go through the robot’s captcha and click “Next”.
- Then click “Confirm” to confirm your application.
- And pass verification by entering a code that is sent to you through a text message or email.
Thus, confirming your phone number is a mandatory registration step that cannot be skipped. But there is a solution, instead of your personal phone number you can use a virtual one.
Can I Create a Hotmail account without a Phone Number?
The best solution is to use a virtual phone number. This allows you to access Hotmail without using your personal phone number.
SMS-Man platform is a reliable provider of virtual phone numbers for receiving SMS. You can choose from 156+ countries to register with 1000+ platforms such as social media, messengers, delivery apps, cabs and more.
This is a step-by-step guide on how to use a virtual phone number:
- Register an account on sms-man.com via email or social media.
- Refill your account balance by clicking on the ” Top up my balance” tab in the left side menu.
- Then go to the “Get SMS” tab where you need to select your country and Hotmail service.
- Click the “Buy SMS” button, then find the purchased number in the “History” section.
- Copy it and use it to register a new Hotmail account.
- After, go back to your SMS-Man profile and get the verification code by clicking ” Receive SMS” button.
- Complete the registration by applying it.