Table of Contents:
Opening a local bank account is one of the most important things when moving to another country. Without it it is difficult to do simple things. Such as installing home internet or signing a cell phone contract. These things play a big role today, so opening a bank account can quickly become high on your to-do list.
Banking systems vary from country to country, and the choice becomes tricky. Here’s what to consider when opening an account in Poland.
Wise (formerly Transferwise) is a payment system for fast money transfers between countries with a fixed exchange rate and low commissions.
Commissions there are 2-3 times lower than those of banks. Wise has accounts in different countries, and when someone makes a transfer, technically not money is sent, but a message that you can send money to the recipient.
This saves on fees and speeds up the transfer process. Some transactions between countries go through in minutes.
Why use Wise?
By opening an account with Wise, you can:
1. Receive money from 80 countries.
2. Send money to 80 countries.
3. store and exchange money in 54 currencies.
Wise supports both personal transfers – to family and friends, and business transfers – to pay for goods and services.
There is no account opening or maintenance fee, you only pay a fixed fee when making a transaction. There are no hidden fees for currency conversion, as in conventional banks. This allows you to save 2%-4% of the transfer amount.
How do I create a Wise account?
Registration is super easy.
1. Follow this link. My language in the screenshots is English, but you can choose Russian or Ukrainian. Press “Register” or “Get started”.
2. Enter your e-mail.
3. Choose the type of account: personal or entrepreneurial.
4. Select your country.
5. Confirm your phone number. If you do not have your country number when registering to the service, you can create an account with a virtual number. There are many sites that sell virtual numbers. One of these sites is Sms-man. On this site you can buy a phone number
After registering you will go straight to the money transfer process.
Registration without a phone number
To use the service you need to confirm your phone number. If you don’t have a phone number of your country while registering at the service, you can create an account with a virtual number.
There are many sites that sell virtual numbers. One of these sites is Sms-man. On this site you can buy phone number of more than 200 countries. Choose the right country to register on Wise and buy a number of that country. After you enter the number you will be asked for a confirmation code. You can see the code that will come to the purchased number on the Sms-man website. Enter the code to complete your registration.
How to get money via Wise account?
Let’s see how it looks like in practice. There are two ways to get money via Wise.
1. the sender creates a Wise account, mentions our usual bank account and sends the money to the details Wise offers, and we get the money in our bank account.
2) We will create a Wise account, we will get details in different currencies inside the account. We pass the details generated by Wise to the sender. He will send the money, we will get them in the Wise account, and then we can withdraw them to our account.