Table of Contents:
When it comes to Chinese instant messaging apps, the first one that probably comes to mind is WeChat. Though, there are other options such as, for example, Tencent QQ messenger which is actually the earliest but still relevant.
How is this messenger useful, and how can non-Chinese people register QQ? In the article, we will tell you about the features of the messenger. After that, we will explain how you can buy a temporary virtual phone number for QQ registration for $0.25.
What is Tencent QQ?
Similar to WeChat, QQ is a product by the Chinese tech giant Tencent, started in 1999 under the name “OICQ” as an Asian analogue of ICQ. Later it was forced to change the name to contracted “QQ”.
QQ also has a global version called ‘QQ International’ in English that also supports French, Spanish, German and a few other languages. According to various sources, Tencent QQ is used not only by almost half of the Chinese Internet users, but also by people from other 80 countries. The total number is from 500+ to 800+ million daily active users.
The messenger is available both as a browser, desktop and mobile versions.
What is Tencent QQ when speaking of features? Besides basic functions such as one-to-one and group chats, voice and video messaging, just like on ICQ, QQ messenger users can also:
- Play online games together.
- Customize avatars.
- Receive and send emails.
- Transfer large files as Tencent offers massive online storage.
To facilitate communication between users from various countries, the application has an in-built translator.
Registering a Tencent QQ account is also useful if you want to get access to Tencent’s social network Qzone where users can share their thoughts in the blog, post images and Snapchat-like vanishing videos.
And finally, QQ also offers an in-built online dating service that is especially relevant for the younger generation to find like-minded people. To be precise, GenZers make up more than 60% of the application’s audience.
What is Tencent QQ in Terms of Benefits?
When speaking of the messenger’s advantages, the first one comes out of the previous abstract:
- Tencent QQ is one of the best platforms for global marketers to reach out to the Chinese market and younger audience to promote relevant products and services.
- Additionally, brands can also collaborate with influencers on QQ to advertise their products. It is possible since the application is widely used by popular Chinese artists for keeping in touch with their audience.
- QQ also offers a vast online storage with the opportunity to transmit large files without loss of quality. So, companies use it for work communication more often than WeChat.
So, how is it possible to use Tencent QQ for people from other countries but China? Let’s found out.
QQ Registration Outside China
If you want to register with QQ for business or personal needs, be aware that, like other Chinese platforms and applications, QQ asks for a phone number for registration. However, you don’t necessarily need a number from Mainland China — the platform accepts numbers from different countries.
Also, if you are not a Chinese speaker and do not plan to practice the language while using the application, we recommend using localized QQ International for creating a new QQ account.
To register with QQ International, follow the link https://im.qq.com/index/, enter your nickname, password and phone number. Then click “Sign up now”, “Continue” and enter the code from a text message. Alternatively, you can register by email.
In the case of registering by phone, if for some reason you do not want to use your real number or you need another number for registering a Tencent QQ account, you can also use virtual phone numbers from vendors like SMS-man.
Such virtual phones are also convenient if you need to unfreeze your current QQ account or create many profiles on the platform.
Virtual Phone Numbers to Register QQ
On SMS-man, you can purchase a virtual phone number from mobile providers from more than 180 countries. The range includes Russia, US, Germany, France, China, and many more. A text message comes directly to your personal account on the platform. This way, you get the opportunity to register and verify on more than 1000 global online websites, masking your real phone.
You can either buy a one-time QQ number for $0.25 or rent a number for up to 90 days with unlimited registrations on all supported platforms.
here are step-by-step instructions on how to purchase and get a virtual number to register a Tencent QQ account:
- Register a profile on sms-man.com using email or through your social media account.
- Add funds to your account balance — please notice that the minimum replenishment limit is $10.
- To purchase a number for one-time registration of a new QQ account, open “Receive SMS”, select a required country and then find ‘QQ’ in the service search bar. Click “Buy SMS”.
- Find the phone number in the “History” section below and apply it for registration.
- Get back to your SMS-man profile and click the “Receive SMS” button near the phone number.
- Wait for the code to come to complete a QQ account registration.